Quondam Dreams

Sunday, December 05, 2004

Awake

It's not insomnia, exactly. I'm sleeping here and there, and it seems to have been somehow adding up to enough. I'm just... awake a lot.

All of this could change. Next week could be one of those weeks where I don't want to do anything but sleep. That does happen sometimes. But not as frequently as this pattern. Two hours here, an hour and a half there, strung together by equivalent or longer stretches of reading, playing games on my computer, basically doing whatever I can to at least get some physical rest without getting restless. I know how to deal with it. It's not worth taking anything to help myself sleep if I'm getting enough sleep to function.

Parents of cranky infants, take heed: Your child may never master the whole "sleep through the night" thing. But give her the tools to entertain herself at 4am, and once she gets the idea, you may just get an uninterrupted night for yourself.

(Yeah, like I have any great expertise with small children. Just going off my own life here.)

This December, I'm back to my preferred holiday strategy of keeping so busy that I notice as little as possible. Opened the vaudeville show this week; I think it went well, especially considering it was opening night. (I do want to try to track down a more predictable orchestration of the song I'm performing, though.) Jenny P. and I spent Wednesday night hashing out the show we'll be doing in January. I think we may just have something here. And, hell -- even if we don't, it'll be fun.

I've been asked to do some spoken-word stuff in a few weeks. I don't have any spoken-word stuff. Time to cull from the Unemployment Diaries. Or maybe I'll just talk about Thanksgiving. This year's family portion was greatly cushoined by chardonnay. Once I was able to make an exit, I headed over to Erica's, where I hung out with a dozen-plus friends and friends of friends for the rest of the evening (and, technically, a bit into the morning). I was probably the only person there who has relatives in the area, but I wouldn't have missed this: There's the family you're related to, and the family of people that you choose to have in your life, and I was able to work in time with both.

Chanukah starts this week. The Sav-on where I usually buy my candles only had the long, thin kind that cost twice as much and take forever to burn. Um, no. I want the little blue box with the weird cityscape of Jerusalem on the front, the twelve tribes on one side, and the blessings printed in itty-bitty type on another. I will visit every drugstore on Pico if I have to. You know, once it stops raining.

Obligatory political tidbit: The mayoral campaign is underway. If you want an entertaining race, keep an eye on L.A.'s. The three people to watch right now are Jim Hahn, the incumbent -- and Antonio Villaraigosa and Bernard Parks, two guys that Hahn basically screwed over. They're both on the City Council right now, and they both want a piece of the mayor. Yes, there are other candidates who may end up out-polling Parks, but those are the three to watch. Right now it looks like the most likely outcome is a rerun of the last runoff between Hahn and Antonio (what? he's an old friend of my mother's, so that's how I think of him -- plus, "Villaraigosa" is harder to type). Only this time, Hahn won't have the support of the people who supported his late father, and whose support last time came with the unspoken agreement that he'd keep Bernard Parks as police chief. Yeah, that didn't so much happen -- which is why Bernard Parks is on the city council and itching to take him down. Also, the final weeks of Hahn's last campaign included some pretty slimy stuff, which did nothing to endear him to the people who weren't too enthusiastic about him to begin with.

Of course, Magic Johnson could end up running. Then it'd really be... wait for it...

Showtime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home