Quondam Dreams

Friday, June 20, 2008

Why I'm Not Bothering With Daytime Emmy Picks This Year

The Daytime Emmy voting system is whack.

The Academy keeps trying to fix it, I'll give them back. But this year's scheme - a longer list of pre-nominations from each show; voters theoretically trying to watch up to 30 submissions reels while cranking out a new hour-long show every day -- lends itself to the very bloc voting which the tweaks have been decided to prevent. Remove the final step of a panel to judge the top five vote-getters in each category, and you have a free-for-all.

I understand why the Academy is trying something different. Given the number of gazillion-nominee categories and ties for the statuettes, it's clear that they've been having a hard time getting enough people to commit to judging. I don't have any suggestions, but if I did, the current system would be nowhere on my list.

So, if you're one of the few people out there who still care about the Daytime Emmys -- or Daytime in general -- just keep in mind that the nominees are the top five vote-getters from the preliminary round. Quality of submissions will play into it, but I suspect that so will popularity, longevity, and memories of who bought which round of drinks last year.

Still, I'm nothing if not compulsive, and I have to see how this latest fiasco turns out. Setting DVR now. The sartorial fiascos alone should be worth the drive space.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home