Quondam Dreams

Monday, May 01, 2006

The Upside Of Stress

This whole unemployment thing is stressing me to a degree not seen since... well, since my last bout of unemployment. I've had a whole bunch of interviews, but nothing's panned out yet. I'm getting the feeling that at most places, the people who sent out the job posting don't talk to the people who will be doing the hiring -- so I find myself going in for jobs that certainly sound like they'll deal with project management or content production, only to find out that the interviewers are actually looking for someone to do object-oriented programming or photo editing. I did have a promising meeting last Tuesday; unfortunately, it was with someone who's notorious for taking an awfully long time to get back to my agency.

I spend a lot of time just trying to keep busy enough to notice that I'm not actually getting much done. I'm doing everything I can to get the work thing going again, but that knowledge doesn't keep me from feeling the stress. And I mean that physically, as well as psychologically. Usually, I just get really bad headaches. I know how to deal with those. This time, my skin started going nuts, and all the appointments necessary to take care of the situation make me really glad that I've continued to pay for health insurance I can barely afford. I'll spare you the details; suffice it to say that while it's not exactly attractive, it's nothing serious. Still, just to be on the safe side, the dermatologist ordered a whole bunch of lab tests. He called this morning with the results.

Apparently, I've never been healthier. Everything's functioning normally. My glucose levels are perfect. Even my cholesterol, which is usually on the higher side of the normal range, is at a great level. There are a couple of things that the doctor wants to double-check, but the odds of them being anything significant are pretty small. My blood pressure is a textbook 120 over 80. Meanwhile, I seem to be losing weight.

I'm never quite this healthy -- on paper, at least -- when I'm not sitting around quivering with tension.

Um...

Yay?

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home